Monday, February 11, 2013

Beach Mini Album - Covering the chipboard

I got this Bo Bunny Beach chipboard album on sale at my local
scrapbooking store for only $2 and decided to use it for our
last visit to California, in Oct of 2012 I also had on hand
wonderful, happy pattern paper and stickers from Echo Park
 and the line is called Sweet Day. Perfect for a beach theme

The most challenging part of any chipboard album is getting it
covered, whether with patterned paper, fabric or by just
inking it to get the colors you desire. For me, I have always
loved covering them in paper, love using a line of products
that all go together, so the album flows nicely.

The process begins with lining up the patterned paper,
I try to get a least one side perfectly placed along the edge,
to save me having to cut that side, then  I trace around the
letter and full chipboard piece, making sure to trace it on the
side I want facing up, and that the pattern or design of
the paper will also be in the right direction when adhered.
 
Make sure you cut a piece of patterned paper for both the
front and back of each letter, I like using double sided
paper for this as it will give you one side for each side
of the letter. (make sure you trace it out with the right
side showing that you want, or you will end up with both
sides looking the same. I make a note on each side of the
chipboard, saying front and back, just so I don't confuse
myself or the paper I cut out, Certain letter, will look very
similar when flipped over. A mistake I've made in the past,

Just showing you how I line up the one edge of the letter
to maximize paper usage and to save on cutting one side
of the paper. Also, remember to trace out circles for the
rings, and then you can use a hole punch to get the holes
easier before adhering the paper to the chipboard.

Showing you the backside of the letter C,  and checking
the size I have cut, before the gluing process begins.
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, is that I cut these
out by hand, with a pair of fine tipped scissors, and  a
paper trimmer for the longer, straight edges. I do not use
an exacto knife, as I find I have less control with one.
Please use whichever method of cutting that works
best for you. I do test run each piece of paper on the
chipboard to make sure I don't have excess overhang.

A look at how the tracing looks after moving the chipboard
piece, and before I start cutting.  This would be where I would
use the paper trimmer for the long straight cut, and then
hand cut the rest of the letter out. This is the front side
of the letter A, and I will once again use the same paper,
but opposite corresponding side for the backside of the A.
 
The back side of the same piece of patterned paper, and
ready to cut out for the back of the A.

As I go along, I line up the letters, to make sure I like
how the pattern papers are looking together, and if need
be make any changes before I actually glue anything
together. Easier to make those changes now, then
after everything is glued together.

When all the paper is cut out to size, now comes the part
that is my least favorite, and that's the gluing. It's messy, and
time consuming, and yet, I find using a glue stick just works
the best, over any double sided tape, as I have tried that
in the past. If you use a spray adhesive, I'm sure that
would work great, I've just never tried it before. And be
generous with the glue, get every little spot, especially all
the edges, and be careful with excess glue getting on the
good side of the paper, as I had a few areas I had to clean
off and it was a bit tricky to do so.  I found that putting
the glue on the chipboard itself, was less messy then if
applying it directly to the paper.

Hopefully you have a brayer, one of the best $15 I have spent
on scrapbooking tools, and it helps press down the paper
nicely, with no ripples or bubbling. Although, please be
careful in your lining up of the paper when laying it onto
the chipboard, as it does get a bit difficult to move if it's
off sided at all. I had more success lining it up from the
side with the holes and working my way down to the
end of the letter. I did have to trim away some excess, but
that is normal when tracing chipboard. 
 
The front sides are all adhered and ready for some sanding and
inking of the edges. I find that by doing this, any overhanging
paper gets worn away with the sandpaper, and the inking, I used
chocolate brown, just helps define each letter in the album,
and gives it a bit more dimension for the one below it,

The back side of the letters had much more color
difference, but that is how I chose to use the paper
it had. If you are using double sided paper, and it's
from the same line, you can mix it up as you feel works
best for your album.


I hope this will help you if you decide to make your own mini chipboard album,  and that you enjoy the process as much as I did. From start to finish, the covering of the chipboard took about an hour, give or take. And although it is a bit of a
hassle, once it is covered, you are on to the fun part of making the album a story to share with loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment