Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cooking in my new skillet

okay, so those of you who follow my Instagram feed will already know this, but for those of you who don't, I will fill you in on the awesomeness that is the IGA Marketplace stamp saver program that is going on until Dec 27th. You spend money and get stamps, then put stamps on pamphlet and when you collect enough stamps, you get a free pot...like an expensive series of pots and pans...by the Thomas Rosenthal Group.

So on Monday evening, I walked over to IGA to get a few groceries,
and finally got the last two stamps I needed to complete the booklet.
I had been carefully deciding on which of the series I had wanted, and
was happy with my choice of the covered skillet pan, non stick of course,
And can you see that receipt??? Regular price of $99 and I got it free.

So many possibilities to be had with such a beautiful pan.
How would I wait to make something in it...so sad not to use
it right away, after all, that's what it's made for.

Well, tonight, Thursday, 3 days after bringing my lovely pan home,
I finally used it, and what a wonderful dish I created, just kinda
grabbing this and that, adding herbs and spices, and just winging
it. I knew I wanted a potato dish of some sort to go with the pork chops
that were in the crockpot, but wasn't in the mood for mashed or just
oven roasted, So I cut up 5 medium sized russet potatoes, skin's
scrubbed and cleaned so I could keep them on, and added them
to the pan where I had melted a few pats of butter. This pan recommends
that you use it on a medium setting, so that is what I did. I then
added an assortment of bell peppers, about 1/4 each of a green,
yellow, red and orange pepper, a few stalks of green onions, and
fried it all together. I then just started adding spices I knew went
well with potatoes, and that would be marjoram, parsley, celery salt,
pepper, and thyme, chili powder and sea salt. After a little more
 frying time, just a few minutes or so, I then added a splash of beef
stock so that I could put the lid on it and soften the potatoes. I
needed to add a bit more stock after about 5 minutes as it was
thickening up due to the starch of the potatoes, and I once
again only added a splash...and after it simmered away, on a low

heat and with a little stir here and there over about half an hour,
 it was almost overcooked, but in a good flavor induce way, a few
 turned mushy, but just made the dish a cross between fried
potatoes and mashed...but the flavor was so good.

But the best thing about this dish, everyone liked it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment