Friday, September 9, 2011

Birthday cakes part two

this was my process for Jordyn's cake this year, which I was not sure of what I was going to do until I was walking around Save on looking in the baking isle. Jordyn doesn't really like chocolate cake so I knew I was going to be making a white cake of some sort....well I got a French Vanilla cake, and vanilla frosting. The rest was just play for me, I wanted to try making a cake with different colored layers to it, so I seperated the prepared batter into four equal amounts and added a few drops of food coloring to each, then into two prepared pans I carefully layered two of the colors on top of one another, and into the oven they went.


then came the simple frosting of the cake, just to get it started, I add frosting between the two layers before putting the cake together as well.


Then carefully, well I least I tried, I added sprinkles to the outside edge and ended up with them all over the counter as well, but at least I had bought it in bulk and had lots of those tiny sprinkles. :) I also always add a wax paper edge to all sides of my cake on the bottom of the cake plate so that clean up is easy.



during this process, I had to put the cake into the fridge a few times because it was so hot in the house that the icing was actually slipping off of the cake, but all was fine in the end.


I had taken the left over icing from the container after I had iced the cake and added a few drops of coloring and then put it into a ziploc bag and just had fun adding swirls onto the top of the cake.



I then added the jelly candies to give it a festive fun feel and put it into the fridge overnight so it wouldn't melt at all.




I added candles just before we sang happy birthday to her and she really liked the little birthday girl candle. (she kept it afterwards and added it to her planter pot :) )



I took a picture after we had cut out a few pieces to show how the colored layers work, the bottom is actually blue and green but was hard to capture in a picture. And although the pink and white layers kinda blended together, I was happy with how it turned out, and Jordyn thought it was cool as did her friends.



With the left over pink icing I made the birthday girl her own messaged plate. <3

1 comment: